First. I have XY chromosomes, AKA I am a guy, and I am on Pinterest. These are my predictions.
There is lots of hype right now about a social platform called Pinterest. If you are like me you had heard from girls and guys through the grapevine little tidbits about it that were a turn-off.
“It is for girls”
“You can plan your wedding”
“You can look for cupcake recipes”
And that was my impression and my apprehension towards Pinterest. To be fair,
So what is the point of Pinterest from a business standpoint? Here we go:
- This will be the place for user reviews. Because of this, there will be some serious advertising dollars committed to Pinterest.
- Companies will be able to show off their products and promote product launches (See how Harmonic Media is using it as a work portfolio)
- B2B companies will be able to share their work in an open space based on someone’s interest.
- Companies can look to others for inspiration and collaboration… think about the engagement with your customer! (I have already seen “Pin It and Win It” contests)
- This is a site about what you are using, not doing. (recipe, design idea, marketing ideas or content etc). These pins create a personality of what you are about.
What you need to know to speed up the learning curve:
- You have to be invited (if you need an invite, tweet me).
- Go to the Goodies page to get the “Pin It” button for your browser
- Pinterest is searchable by engines, so there is SEO equity there
- You can pin pictures, as well as videos (flash pictures do not work!)
- Take the same idea of interacting and engaging with others to this platform.
- There is not an official Pinterest Android App
That should get you going and settle your nerves a little. Everyone is still exploring and learning about this, so if you have any comments or suggestions, please leave them below!
You can find and follow me on Pinterest,